Tuesday, April 26, 2011

The Cross

The Cross and Resurrection

I just read an awesome little book called The Case For Easter by Lee Strobel. Once again, he used his journalistic skills to investigate the claims for the cross and resurrection, as to whether they actually happened. WOW. I am already a believer but if anything, it strengthened my faith and what I had already believed.

The three points he wanted to pursue were 1) whether Jesus actually died on the cross as the bible said, 2) whether the body of jesus was actually resurrected, and 3) whether he had actually appeared to people after the resurrection. These are three things that people could most definitely get stuck on if they are wanting logical, straight-forth answers about what happened from Good Friday to Easter Sunday.

As a believer already, the one thing in the book that hit me the most was the description of the crucifixion by a doctor and christian that Strobel interviewed. He had modern-day diagnosis' for what Jesus was physically going through. From his lashings the day of his death, what he was dealing with as he carried the cross to Calvary, and a descriptive explanation to what happens during a crucifixion. His descriptions where often hard to read, not only for it's gruesome nature, but because of what it all ended up meaning.

It was MY SIN that held him there. Yes it was the sin of all mankind, but that includes ME. It was hard to take. The verse that I have on my wrist is Galatians 2:20. “I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me." He gave Himself for Me. How amazing is it that Jesus, the creator of the universe, was thinking of me when he was going through the most pain a man could go through.

At the end of the chapter, Stobel posed a heartfelt question to the straight-shooting doctor: what would motivate someone to take on such a horrible death? His answer could be summed up in one word: LOVE. But this is what he said:

"Frankly, I don't think a typical person could have done it. But Jesus knew what was coming, and he was willing to go through it, because this was the only way He could redeem us - by serving as our substitute and paying the death penalty that we deserve because of our rebellion against God. That was His whole mission in coming to earth."

In one word, it was Love. Pure, unmatched love. How thankful am I for that love. I can't even begin to express. I hope you see how much Jesus loves you. And if you don't believe that Jesus died and was risen from the dead, take a look at The Case For Easter. It could show you what you've been missing. Be brave enough to see what God is trying to show you.

No comments: